Privy Room of Murad III

The Privy Chamber of Sultan Murat III (III. Murat Has Odası) dated to the first construction period (1578 and 1590) of the Harem, is the oldest and finest surviving room in the Harem, having retained its original interior. It was erected in 1579 on the orders of Sultan Murat III by the master architect Sinan, on the emplacement of the former privy chamber believed to have belonged to Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent. The structure was utilized for several centuries as the private quarters and reception hall of the Ottoman monarchs.  It is one of the most splendid examples of the classical Ottoman architecture of the late 16th century.  
The interior details of the pavilion are symmetrical. The main hall is endowed with a large dome, slightly smaller than that of the Throne Room, resting on monumental arches. The large dome symbolizes the permanency of the Ottoman monarchs. It also has a domed entrance platform. The interior of the main hall is decorated with blue-and-white and coral-red 16th century Iznik tiles.  There is also a large indoor pool under the kiosk. A belt of inscriptional tiles runs around the room above the shelf and door level. It is inscribed in white calligraphic characters on a blue background with the most famous verse of the Qur'an, the Throne Verse or Ayatul Kursi, the 255th verse (ayet)of the second chapter (sure) Al-Baqara. There are arched triple-niches between the deep windows with marble jambs. 
Rumî (a style of ornamentation widely used by the Seljuks of Anatolia, of Rum) and palmette decorations manufactured by using the malakâri technique (painting with plaster reliefs) ornament the inside of the dome and its pendentives. The dome rim is decorated with the same patterns carved in marble relief.  The monumental fireplace with a gilded tombac hood stands opposite a two-tiered ornamental fountain built into the wall (selsebil) skilfully decorated in coloured marble. Cabinet doors inlaid with geometrically patterned interlaced mother of pearl and tortoiseshell, attributed to Sedefkâr (Nacre-master) Mehmet Agha,are classical elements. The two gilded wooden baldachin thrones in Ottoman baroque style date from the 18th century.