The Conqueror’s Pavilion, also called the Conqueror's Kiosk (Fatih Köşkü) with its arcade in front is one of the oldest structures of the Palace constructed under Fatih Sultan Mehmet II (the Conqueror) in the years 1462-63, so as to form a plan of the Topkapı Palace. It has a quad venue layout such as the other Sultan’s pavilions inside the Palace. The Fatih Pavilion bears the specific features of imperial architecture, with its spacious rooms, its terrace in iwan appearance, its vestibule with portico, its high gate behind a couple of porphyry columns, the deep windows and niches in its walls and its magnificent fireplace. The Conqueror’s Pavilion is the cut-stone monumental application of the traditional form of home with outer hall. The building’s massive walls and two vaulted cellars are supported by a sub-structure covering a small Byzantine baptistery built along a trefoil plan, found during excavations in the basement. The structure which had originally wooden ceilings and was covered with lead-coated roofing was renovated during the 16th Century to acquire its present appearance. The Conqueror’s Pavilion which Fatih Sultan Mehmet had initially built as a contemplation lodge soon turned out to become a place where the items of the treasury were conserved. As the treasure was substantially enriched following the Egyptian expedition of Yavuz Sultan Selim, terraces and porches were closed through walls in order to protect the highly valuable objects. During the reign of Sultan Mahmut I (1730-1754) the green porphyry columns in front of the main door were immured so as to create a new space called Ambassadorial Treasure (Elçi Hazinesi). Thus, the Pavilion’s monumental portal and its whole façade facing the Third Courtyard were closed with doors and windows. Furthermore, a jewellery workshop was added onto the building in 1766 for the on-site repair of the valuable articles in the Treasury Chamber collection. All of these additions were finally removed in subsequent periods restoring the building to its 16th Century appearance.
Scholars of Our country will tell about Yavuz Sultan Selim and Sacred Relics at date December 14th Thursday 13:00 in Topkapı Palace with participation of Governor of Istanbul Vasip Şahin with cooperation of İstanbul Directorate of Culture and Tourism and Municipality of Üsküdar