Courtyard IV

The Sofa Pavilion also called the Kara Mustafa Pasha Pavilion or Merdivenbaşı Kasrı (Top of the Stairs Pavilion) was built under Sultan Mehmet IV (1648-1687). The structure consisting of two independent sections called Divanhane (Divan-Lounge) and Şerbet Odası (Sherbet Room) underwent a series of restorations during the period of Sultan Ahmet III (1703-1730) and Sultan Mahmut (1730-1754). The pavilion where Sultans would watch sporting events performed by the pages of the Enderûn, hold talks... ...More
The Tent Kiosk and the Kiosk of the Swordbearer (Silahdarağa Köşkü) succeeded one another on the site where originally Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror had the Third Place Pavilion built at the time when the Topkapı Palace was first established. Sources mention that the original Sofa Mosque (Sofa Camii) was first erected along with the foundation of the corps called Sofa Ocağı during the period of Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent. Sultan Mahmut II had the Kiosk of the Swordbearer torn down in... ...More
The Mecidiye Pavilion is the most recent building at Topkapı Palace. It was commissioned by Sultan Abdülmecit in 1859 to Serkis Balyan, the architect of the Dolmabahçe Palace. Initially called the New Kiosk, it was later named the Mecidiye Kiosk with reference to Sultan Abdülmecit who had it built.  It was erected on the vaulted basement of the Third Place and Tent Kiosks dating from the 15th century; certain parts of the basement walls and foundations underneath date from the Byzantine... ...More
The Tower of the Head Tutor (Baş Lala Kulesi), also known as the Chamber of the Chief Physician (Hekimbaşı Odası) was built as a watch tower during the time of Sultan Mehmet II (the Conqueror) on an East Roman-era square-shaped city-wall segment.   The Chamber of the Chief Physician was a sort of court pharmacy named after the chief of the court physicians, ophthalmologists and surgeons whose number was ranging from 60 to 70, and who belonged to the Ottoman government structure called... ...More
Wardrobe Chambers where the clothes and jewels of Sultans were kept existed in the Palace ever since the time of Fatih Sultan Mehmet. The task of appropriate conservation of the imperial wearing apparel was assumed in the early period by the Dülbent Ağası (Muslin Master). In later periods, the function was fulfilled by the Esvabcıbaşı (Head of the Garments’ Custodians) and his crew. The Wardrobe Chamber situated near the Mecidiye Pavilion is the only building bearing that name known to us today... ...More